Monday, June 6, 2011

House Hunt

With just under three months remaining between now and my move to WCU, it's time to start addressing my growing to-do list. Along with tasks like purging, packing, and planning (all while being alliterative), I need to find housing. Although the area to which I'm moving has a decent Craigslist, searching for housing in absentia is never easy. From this distance I am unable to a) find availabilities that aren't listed either on Craigslist or the local classifieds, b) visit and tour properties, c) meet landlords, or d) place a deposit without serious concerns of fraud.

Most of those issues aren't yet too pressing, however, as most properties I've seen advertised are available as summer sublets, or are looking for tenants to move in during June or July. I'm hoping that in the next few weeks I'll start seeing more places available for late August/September. I also have a friend currently living in the area who has offered to visit places on my behalf if I find something suitable.

The biggest problem I'm having right now is pricing. I'm trying to budget on a grad student's stipend, which is less than I make right now as a ranch hand. I'll also be moving to an area of the country that has a notoriously high cost of living. Everything in the place to which I'm moving-- gas, food, rent, insurance-- is far more expensive than in MHT. It's difficult for me to think about making ends meet in a place where I'll be paying more for necessities all while making less money.

Right now, I rent a pretty spacious one bedroom apartment just outside of MHT. I make enough as a ranch hand to cover expenses and put a little bit of money in savings every month. In the area around WCU, even small studio apartments are on the order of 60% more expensive in rent than I pay now. I've been looking into alternative options, mainly bedrooms in shared houses, but without being in the area to check places out and meet potential housemates, there's not a good way for me to get a feel of whether I'd get along in the house. Skype is great, and can provide a decent way to sort-of meet people, but it's no substitute for being physically present.

I've had to find housing in absentia before, when I was getting ready to move to Newcastle, WY. I followed the local classifieds for a couple weeks before something suitable popped up. I called the landlord, who sent me pictures of the place, and luckily agreed to hold it for me, without a down payment, until I moved. Then, I was able to check it out before agreeing to rent and paying the security deposit. It all worked out really well, but likely worked in my favor because of the low population of Newcastle and the dearth of renters coming in. It probably worked in my landlord's favor to hold the place for me. I'm not sure I'll be able to work out something similar when moving to WCU.

If nothing else, most rental agreements I've seen posted in the area of WCU are month-to-month, so even if I have to end up moving in someplace that I don't like, or into a household in which I don't get along, I'll likely only have to stay for a month or two while I find something better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem when I moved from Florida to New England-- though the Craigslistings in my area are non-existent. Even though you're looking at off-campus housing I would still checking in with your school's housing department (or person). They may be able to steer you to reputable listings.

Cheers!

Charzy