Monday, July 18, 2011

One, for the money

It turns out that starting graduate school is going to be one of the most expensive things I've ever done. Aside from the money spent on the now-completed application process, I'm looking at a 1,500 mile move to a city where the cost of living is extremely high. Moving my stuff long-distance will require one of two things: either I rent a trailer or moving company to take my furniture from here to there (expensive), or I leave most of my furniture behind to consignment and pick up the essentials at thrift stores after I arrive (slightly less expensive, and easier, but still costly).

The transport itself won't be cheap. Two very long or three slightly shorter days of driving will add up to a lot of gas and at least one hotel stay, as well as the pre-trip maintenance (oil change, tire balance and rotation, brake check, etc.) I really should have done on my vehicle beforehand. There's also a security deposit and first month's rent on a new apartment to think about when I get there.

And what about starting school? I'll need a parking permit to make sure I can park on campus. I'll need to stock up on certain school supplies, including an external hard drive and a printer (two things I did without in undergrad, but cannot put off acquiring before starting my research). Most of the clothes I have are dirty, worn, holey, and sweat-stained from two hard years on the ranch-- I doubt my jeans (with the seats and seams worn out from hours in the saddle) will be appropriate for an academic atmosphere. That's not to mention the costs of textbooks for my classes and the fees I have to pay to the school that aren't covered by my stipend!

Looks as if I'll be picking up some extra hours on the ranch, and tapping into savings...

Yikes!

No comments: