Friday, October 22, 2010

Opportunity

I held off on moving into an apartment of my own for a long time. My reasoning was simple-- were I offered a field job, I'd have to break the lease of an apartment to accept a position, and breaking a lease is anything but easy. Or cheap.

Once I'd finally made the decision to stick around in My Home Town for another year, and had secured (more or less) a reliable source of income, I made the move. I like the apartment a lot, and I'd forgotten how much I like living on my own. Except I'm not great at feeding myself. I'd forgotten about that, too.

Anyway, not three days after I moved in, I was offered a job on a field crew. Ha! Figures, doesn't it?

I accepted the job right away, though. In fact, I'd say someone would have to be crazy- certifiably insane- to turn this one down. It's what I've been waiting for since last spring. If I held out on applying to any potential organizations, or turned down any offers in the past, or was wary about accepting work for one reason or another, it was all because this job was out there, and I hadn't gotten it yet. If I were an excitable person, I might very well wet myself over this one. It's really that incredible.

Luckily, I will a.) not have to break my lease, as the position is only for 5 weeks, and b.) have enough saved that I should be able to front the expenses of being gone for a month, even without substantial pay.

I will miss the boys a lot... five weeks may be nothing to me, but it's a lot in rat-time. I've found someone to watch them, and hopefully the time apart won't be too traumatic for them. Or me. Ultimately, though, I think just about any sacrifice on my end will be worth it. This fieldwork is going to be incredible, and I'm literally shocked that I was offered a position.

I know I haven't been updating with any regularity lately, but chances are I won't be able to update at all while in the field. So in a few weeks, you might not hear from me again until Christmastime. I'll be too busy doing awesome field research!

No comments: