Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Transient Theory

Sometime later on, in my not-so-distant future life, there's a good chance I'll be traveling a great deal-- visiting far-flung regions of the globe doing research, meeting with colleagues stationed across the U.S., flying to meetings and conferences and planning sessions and hearings. There isn't a good way for me to prepare for this. I don't have the money to make a habit of vacations to the next state over, let alone elsewhere in the U.S., my job doesn't require much travel beyond the next county, and the trip I took to visit graduate schools last month may very well be the last trip I'll make anywhere for a long while yet.

So how do I get ready for all that moving around? Simple, I suppose, though convoluted. I move around.

I assure you, my frequent moves are far from intentional. I don't enjoy moving at all, and if I could avoid it I certainly wouldn't do it more than once a year. I don't mind being in a new location, getting used to new places and people-- that's all exciting and new and adventurous, in a way. It's all the crap that comes with me that's bothersome, and the mere thought of dragging boxes of stuff and furniture up staircases and maneuvering through doorways and tight corners just weighs on me.

I wish I could be the kind of person that didn't need anything materialistic. But I'm not. I really like sleeping in a bed, and damned if I don't enjoy a couch and a good movie once in a while. And a microwave.

This weekend, I will make my fifth move in less than a year. This will be a new record for me. Previously, the record was three. With my job somewhat secure, I decided that if I was going to stick around town for a while, it would be nice to do it in the comfort and solitude of my own place. I received a great deal of encouragement when I advanced this proposition, so I did some house hunting and chose something reasonable that, though not without flaws, seemed least likely to evoke feelings of terror and/or disgust in those that chance by for a visit.

I'm really looking forward to living on my own again, and when all's said and done I'm sure the packing, lugging, loading, unloading, lugging, and unpacking will all be worth it. It seems like a quiet neighborhood with quiet neighbors, and if I'm really lucky, it will be the last place I live before I move to go to graduate school.

No comments: