Sunday, August 28, 2011

Two, for the show

Friday was my last day at work on the ranch. Despite my move date coming up extremely quickly (as in, I leave at the end of this week, quickly), I haven't thought a lot about the fact that I'll no longer live in My Home Town, or work on the ranch. My last day of work was more or less like any other day. I did the same things I always do on Fridays, and never once thought, "Oh! This is the last time I'll have to do this!" even when I was scrubbing out the toilet in the bathroom in the barn.

There was one unusual event on Friday-- Debbie hosted a small going away party for me. I wasn't expecting any fanfare. I thought that, if anything, she and Marlene would take me to lunch or dinner. But Friday morning they sent me to run errands and when I returned at lunchtime the barn was decked out in party attire. She'd ordered pizza from my favorite local place, purchased cupcakes, and invited both my mom and one of my friends to come by, along with, of course, Joe and Marlene. It was a small gathering, but very much appreciated. Even though it was a going away party, we didn't talk much about my going away. I don't think I'm the only one that has been trying not to think about the fact that I'll be leaving.

The display of my support system in MHT has been enormous lately. I've had friends take me to dinner, help me move furniture, and offer to help me pack my car the night before I leave. I've received parting gifts from several people, and more than one of my friends has expressed dismay at my imminent departure.

It's nice to know that people care, but even though I appreciate the myriad of gestures, it's bittersweet. It serves to remind me that I've managed to build a life here these past two years, and when I move, I'll be leaving all of that behind.

No comments: